Women’s Golf Association of Baltimore
Local Rules and Conditions of Competition for Tournaments
1. USGA Rules govern all play. Unless otherwise noted, the penalty for breach of a Local Rule or Condition is: Match play – loss of hole; Stroke play – two strokes.
2. The EMBEDDED BALL RULE is in effect through the green. Local Rule as prescribed in Appendix I is in effect.
3. SOD SEAMS: Local Rule for Seams of Cut Turf as prescribed in Appendix I is in effect.
4. DISTANCE-MEASURING DEVICES are allowed. Local Rule as prescribed in Appendix I is in effect.
5. DOUBT AS TO PROCEDURE: In stroke play only, when during the play of a hole, if a competitor is doubtful of her rights or procedure, she may, without penalty, play a second ball. After the situation which caused the doubt has arisen, the competitor must, before taking further action, announce her decision to invoke this rule and the ball with which she will score if the Rules permit. The competitor must report the facts to the Committee before returning her score card. If she fails to do so, she will be disqualified. Rule 3-3.
6. SUSPENSION OF PLAY: The signal for suspending play due to a dangerous situation will be a prolonged note of the siren. All play must be suspended immediately. Failure to do so may result in disqualification. Resumption of play will be signaled by two short notes of the siren.
7. FOOTWEAR: metal or ceramic spikes are prohibited. The penalty for breach of this Rule is disqualification.
8. CELL PHONES: All players are responsible for knowing and following the rules governing cell phone usage for the club at which they are playing.
9. COMMITTEE DISCRETION: If the Committee considers that a player is guilty of a serious breach of etiquette, it may impose a penalty of disqualification under Rule 33-7.
10. WITHDRAWAL: If, after the pairings are made, a WGA member or non-member withdraws without valid reason, she shall be ineligible to play in any WGA tournament for one year.
11. ALCOHOL POLICY: A player may not bring alcohol on to any club premise.
12. ACCIDENTAL MOVEMENT OF A BALL ON A PUTTING GREEN: When a player’s ball lies on the putting green, there is no penalty if the ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved by the player, her partner, her opponent, or any of their caddies or equipment. (Note: Full text of Local Rule is available at http://www.usga.org/2017LocalRule).